- 16 May 2013 Liverpool @ The Kazimier Tickets
- 17 May 2013 Manchester @ The Ruby Lounge Tickets
- 18 May 2013 Glasgow @ The Arches Tickets
- 19 May 2013 Gateshead @ Gateshead Old Town Hall Tickets
- 21 May 2013 Sheffield @ Greystones Tickets
- 22 May 2013 Leeds @ Brudenell Social Club Tickets
- 24 May 2013 Kirkbymoorside @ The Band Room Tickets
- 25 May 2013 Hebden Bridge @ The Trades Club Tickets
- 26 May 2013 Leicester @ The Musician Tickets
- 28 May 2013 Norwich @ Norwich Arts Centre Tickets
- 29 May 2013 London @ Islington Assembly Hall Tickets
- 30 May 2013 Bristol @ The Fleece Tickets
- 31 May 2013 Oxford @ The Bullingdon
- 20 Jun 2013 Cambridge, MA @ Club Passim Tickets
- 21 Jun 2013 Fall River, MA @ Narrows Center for the Arts Tickets
- 22 Jun 2013 New Haven, CT @ Café Nine Tickets
- 23 Jun 2013 Hudson, NY @ Club Helsinki Tickets
- 27 Jun 2013 New York, NY @ The Slipper Room Tickets
- 28 Jun 2013 Philadelphia, PA @ World Cafe Live Tickets
- 29 Jun 2013 Brooklyn, NY @ The Knitting Factory Tickets
- 19 Jul 2013 Minneapolis, MN @ Cedar Cultural Center Tickets
- 20 Jul 2013 Madison, WI @ High Noon Saloon Tickets
- 22 Jul 2013 Chicago, IL @ Millennium Park
- 24 Jul 2013 St. Louis, MO @ Off Broadway Tickets
- 25 Jul 2013 Bloomington, IN @ The Bishop Tickets
- 26 Jul 2013 Louisville, KY @ Headliners Tickets
- 27 Jul 2013 Athens, OH @ The Union
- 28 Jul 2013 Ann Arbor, MI @ The Ark Tickets
- 18 Sep 2013 Lamy/ NM @ Lamy Depot Tickets
- 5 Oct 2013 San Francisco, CA @ Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival Tickets
- 10 Oct 2013 Manly, New South Wales, AUS @ Moonshine Bar Tickets
- 12 Oct 2013 Melbourne, Australia @ The Hi-Fi Tickets
- 13 Oct 2013 Sydney, Australia @ The Basement Tickets
- 14 Oct 2013 Brisbane, Australia @ Blackbear Lodge Tickets
- 16 Oct 2013 Adelaide, Australia @ The Grace Emily Tickets
- 19 Oct 2013 Masteron, New Zealand @ King Street Live Tickets
- 22 Oct 2013 Wellington, New Zealand @ Bodega Tickets
- 23 Oct 2013 Lyttelton, New Zealand @ Naval Point Yacht Club
- 24 Oct 2013 Leigh, New Zealand @ Sawmill Cafe Tickets
- 25 Oct 2013 Auckland, New Zealand @ Galatos Tickets
- 8 Nov 2013 Seattle, WA @ The Sunset Tavern Tickets
- 9 Nov 2013 Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge Tickets
- 10 Nov 2013 Eugene, OR @ Sam Bond's Garage Tickets
- 12 Nov 2013 San Francisco, CA @ Cafe Du Nord Tickets
- 13 Nov 2013 Berkeley, CA @ Freight & Salvage Tickets
- 14 Nov 2013 Davis, CA @ Mondavi Center Tickets
- 15 Nov 2013 Santa Cruz, CA @ The Rio Theatre Tickets
- 16 Nov 2013 Santa Cruz, CA @ The Rio Theatre Tickets
- 18 Nov 2013 Arcata, CA @ Humboldt State University Tickets
- 19 Nov 2013 Chico, CA @ Cal State Chico Tickets
- 21 Nov 2013 Santa Barbara, CA @ UC Santa Barbara Tickets
- 22 Nov 2013 Los Angeles, CA @ The Bootleg Tickets
Brett and Rennie Sparks have been collaborating as The Handsome Family for over 20 years. With lyrics by Rennie and music by Brett, The Handsome Family infuse their singular art with everything from punk rock to folk, and have garnered extensive critical acclaim over the years. Of course, you don’t have to be a music historian to love the complexity of these songs. They are full of romantic longing for nature’s mysterious beauty and the tiny wonders of everyday life. They pair sweet melody with sad harmony, love poetry with dark beats. This music makes you shiver and cry, but also music that makes you happy to be alive.
The Handsome Family’s music and lyricism has always attracted intellectual and devoted fans. Their songs are frequently covered by many notable artists including Jeff Tweedy, Andrew Bird, Kelly Hogan, and Christy Moore. Their work has garnered praise from Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr, and an unnamed singer on American Idol.
For US booking information about The Handsome Family, visit the excellent people of High Road Touring.
Publicity provided by:
Sacks & Co.
Attn: Krista Williams
423 West Fourteenth Street, Suite 429-3F
New York, NY 10014
“The pieces are highly intelligent and succinct. Certain facts from natural history, certain observations and things she [Rennie Sparks] reveals, read like a stumbling discourse one might fall into with a stranger and remember for a long while.” – The New Yorker
“A sound that spans many generations at once.” – NPR First Listen
“The Sparks plunge back into the woods where the trees rise wild for their latest, returning with 12 tales of mystery and imagination that form one of the strongest, most cohesive albums of their career.” – The Onion AV Club
“Yet another fantastic album, in every sense of the word.” – New York Music Daily
“At the core of every great Handsome Family song is a sense of mystery, of a world that defies our ability to understand or predict it. That in itself is a beautiful thing, and why I find the duo’s music so powerful, and so moving.”—Greg Kot, Chicago Tribune
“There’s a burnt beauty to Honey Moon – something akin to Mark Twain re-written by Edgar Allan Poe – that exerts a deliciously morbid pull on the imagination and the emotions. Satisfaction is guaranteed.”—BBC
“Honey Moon is a warm, heartfelt tribute both to a clost-harmony style the couple evidently cherish, and to their own marriage.”—The Mail
“The songs on Honey Moon are just a gorgeously haunting as anything they have done previously.” —Blurt
MAGNET phoned Brett and Rennie Sparks at home, intending to discuss love songs; we were soon engaged on the topics of hillbillies, moths, swamps and toilets. Check out the interview, as well as The Handsome Family’s week of guest editing the site from Feb. 24 through Mar. 1st. Look for all 12 posts!
Discover their taste by reading Brett and Rennie’s Top 10 Favorite Murder Ballads on Aquarium Drunkard.
“Returning to American country some of its spiritual mystery — 4 stars.—The Independent (UK) on Last Days of Wonder
“Last Days of Wonder” might just be the duo’s finest hour, full of typically nightmarish images but shot through with black humour and moments of geniuine grace and beauty. It’s also their most musically adventurous album yet.—The Sun (UK)
Words that in their everyday surrealism have no parallel in contemporary writing…Music that mines the deep veins of fatalism in the Appalachian voice—Greil Marcus
This is music that moves forward by turning the clock back: haunting, primal and strangely heroic—The London Times
City Pages (Minneapolis) cover story on Brett and Rennie from 7/5/06 issue.
Nice feature on Last Days of Wonder from Country Standard Time.
Robert Christgau raves as well in his Village Voice Consumer Guide
The Handsome Family built their own site.
Wilderness Deluxe LP + Book
"Wilderness" Deluxe Box includes: LP (w/ download code), Companion Book of Essays & Art by Rennie Sparks, 6-postcard set, & 11x17" Poster.
Wild animals, tall tales, and dark stories from American history. Haunting music in the most wonderful way–brilliant, emotionally-charged and completely unique.
Drunk by Noon/The Blizzard
Last Days of Wonder
In the Air
"One of the most important records of the 21st century." - Uncut
Through the Trees
"One of the ten essential Americana albums of all time" - MOJO | "Weightless Again is one of the 100 best songs ever written about heartbreak." - The Guardian UK
Milk & Scissors
"Blending Kafkaesque scenarios with Carter Family crooning and Dali-like imagery with the whiskey-soaked balladry of Hank Williams. It all adds up to an evocative, oddly compelling fusion of the old and the new on 'Milk and Scissors.'" - Boston Phoenix
The Handsome Family's 1st album. "They're an evil REM with their dirty uncle Gram Parsons." - Austin Chronicle
In the Forest of Missing Planes